Master of Science in Engineering in Computer and Information Science (CIS/MSE)
The CIS/ MSE program offers scholars the opportunity for advanced study in the scientific foundations of the rapidly growing field of computer science. Applicants to the MSE program should have strong undergraduate training in mathematics and computer science; prior coursework should include such areas as operating systems, programming languages, data structures, discrete mathematics, linear algebra, algorithms and theory; coursework should be similar to the courses taken by computer science undergraduates at the University of Pennsylvania.
Candidates who do not have an undergraduate major in computer science should consider applying to the Master of Computer and Information Technology program (MCIT). Dual degree/transfer information for current students can be accessed here. Submatriculation information for current students can be accessed here.
CIS/MSE students can pursue many areas within their curriculum, including AI, databases, security, programming languages, etc. The CIS Graduate Program prepares our students to be tomorrow’s innovators, leaders, and visionaries. Our MSE graduates have obtained a wide range of positions in industry and continued in doctoral studies. Here’s a sample:
- Senior Programmer/Analyst, Computational Biology & Informatics Laboratory, University of Pennsylvania
- Software Development Engineer, Microsoft
- Researcher, Lincoln Laboratory, MIT
- Systems Engineer, Lockheed Martin
- Researcher, School of Medicine/Radiology, University of Pennsylvania
- Doctoral Student, Computer & Information Science, University of Pennsylvania
- Doctoral Student, Computer Science, Brown University,
- Doctoral Student, Computer Science, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- A more extensive list can be found here.
To learn more about the application and admission requirements please visit:
Visit the Graduate Admissions website for additional FAQs.
Your CIS Contacts:
Graduate Coordinator for on-campus MCIT, CIS/MSE and CGGT programs
Office: 308 Levine
Program Manager for DATS (Data Science MSE)
Office: 308 Levine
Doctoral Program Manager
Office: 310 Levine
Graduate Coordinator for ROBO
Office: 459 Levine
Liz Wai-Ping Ng
Associate Director for Embedded Systems MSE program
Office: 313 Levine
PICS Program Coordinator, SCMP Academic Coordinator
Office: 3401 Walnut, 5th Fl.