I am a Raj and Neera Singh Assistant Professor of Computer and Information Science at the University of Pennsylvania computer science department
, associated with the theory group
, our new program in Networked and Social Systems Engineering
, and the Warren Center for Network and Data Sciences
. I am also affilied with the AMCS
program (Applied Mathematics and Computational Science). I spent a year as a postdoc at Microsoft Research New England
. Before that, I received my PhD from Carnegie Mellon University
, where I was fortunate to have been advised by Avrim Blum
My main interests are in algorithms and theoretical computer science,
and specifically in the area of database privacy, game theory and mechanism design, and learning theory.
I am the recipient of an Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship
, an NSF CAREER award, and a Yahoo Academic Career Enhancement award.
For more information on my research interests, see my Research Statement and CV.
My lovely wife Cathy just got her PhD in math
at MIT. At her insistence, I link to her website
Office: Levine 603
@cis.upenn.edu (Click to reveal my email address)
This semester I am teaching NETS 412 -- Algorithmic Game Theory
I'm fortunate to be able to work with several excellent graduate students and postdocs.
- Zhiyi Huang (PhD student co-advised with Sampath Kannan). Now faculty at University of Hong Kong.
- Kris Iyer (Postdoc, jointly hosted with Michael Kearns and Mallesh Pai). Now faculty at Cornell ORIE.
- Yang Jiao (BS/MS student). Now a PhD student at CMU
- Rachel Cummings (Visiting PhD student), now a PhD student at Caltech
Workshops and Tutorials:
- Nexus of Information and Computation: Security and Privacy March 21-April 1 2016. (Co-organizers: Prakash Narayan, Anand Sarwate,Vinod Vaikuntanathan, Salil Vadhan).
- NIPS 2015 Workshop on Adaptive Data Analysis, held in conjunction with NIPS 2015. (Co-organizers: Adam Smith, Vitaly Feldman, Moritz Hardt)
- The First Workshop on Algorithmic Game Theory and Data Science, held in conjunction with EC, June 15, 2015. (Co-organizers: Shuchi Chawla, Hu Fu, Jason Hartline, Denis Nekipelov, Kane Sweeney)
- An Introduction to Differential Privacy February 14, 2015. The Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) (Tutorial)
- Tutorial on Privacy, Information Economics, and Mechanism Design, held in conjunction with EC, June 9, 2014. (Co-tutors: Cynthia Dwork and Mallesh Pai)
- Workshop on Privacy and Economics, held in Conjunction with EC June 16, 2013. (Organized together with Katrina Ligett)
- Differential Privacy and Economics and the Social Sciences March 7, 2013. Open to the public! (Tutorial)
- DIMACS Workshop on Recent Work on Differential Privacy across Computer Science Oct. 24-26, 2012. (Organized together with Adam Smith)
- New York Computer Science and Economics Day V: The Economics of Big Data, Information, and Privacy. (Organized together with Dirk Bergemann, Sham Kakade, and Nitish Korula)
Program Committee Member For:
Books and Surveys
Selected Publications (bias towards recent)
- The Algorithmic Foundations of Differential Privacy. Joint with Cynthia Dwork. Foundations and Trends in Theoretical Computer Science, NOW Publishers. 2014.
- Privacy and Mechanism Design. Joint with Mallesh Pai. SIGecom Exchanges, 2013.
for all publications, or my Google Scholar profile
Click for abstract/informal discussion of
- Coordination Complexity: Small Information Coordinating Large Populations. Joint with Rachel Cummings, Katrina Ligett, Jaikumar Radhakrishnan and Steven Wu. Manuscript.
- The Strange Case of Privacy in Equilibrium Models. Joint work with Rachel Cummings, Katrina Ligett, and Mallesh Pai. Manuscript.
- Learning from Rational Behavior: Predicting Solutions to Unknown Linear Programs. Joint work with Shahin Jabbari, Ryan Rogers, and Steven Wu. Manuscript.
- Privacy for the Protected (Only). Joint with Michael Kearns, Steven Wu, and Grigory Yaroslavtsev. Manuscript.
- Watch and Learn: Optimizing from Revealed Preferences Feedback. Joint with Jon Ullman and Steven Wu. Manuscript.
- Computer-aided verification in mechanism design. Joint with Gilles Barthe, Marco Gaboardi, Emilio Jesus Gallego Arias, Justin Hsu, and Pierre-Yves Strub. Manuscript.
- Jointly Private Convex Programming. Joint work with Justin Hsu, Zhiyi Huang, and Steven Wu. To appear in SODA 2016.
- Privacy and Truthful Equilibrium Selection for Aggregative Games. Joint with Rachel Cummings, Michael Kearns, and Steven Wu. To appear in WINE 2015.
- Generalization in Adaptive Data Analysis and Holdout Reuse. Joint work with Cynthia Dwork, Vitaly Feldman, Moritz Hardt, Toniann Pitassi, and Omer Reingold. To appear in NIPS 2015.
- The Reusable Holdout: Preserving Validity in Adaptive Data Analysis. Joint work with Cynthia Dwork, Vitaly Feldman, Moritz Hardt, Toniann Pitassi, and Omer Reingold. In Science, August 7 2015.
- Inducing Approximately Optimal Flow Using Truthful Mediators. Joint work with Ryan Rogers, Jonathan Ullman, and Steven Wu. In the proceedings of EC 2015.
- Private Pareto Optimal Exchange. Joint with Sampath Kannan, Jamie Morgenstern, and Ryan Rogers. In the proceedings of EC 2015.
- Preserving Statistical Validity in Adaptive Data Analysis. Joint work with Cynthia Dwork, Vitaly Feldman, Moritz Hardt, Toniann Pitassi, and Omer Reingold. In the proceedings of STOC 2015.
- Online Learning and Profit Maximization from Revealed Preferences. Joint with Kareem Amin, Rachel Cummings, Lili Dworkin, and Michael Kearns. In the proceedings of AAAI 2015.
- Accuracy for Sale: Aggregating Data with a Variance Constraint. Joint with Rachel Cummings, Katrina Ligett, Steven Wu, and Juba Ziani. In the proceedings of ITCS 2015.
- Approximately Stable, School Optimal, and Student-Truthful Many-to-One Matchings (via Differential Privacy). Joint with Sampath Kannan, Jamie Morgenstern, and Steven Wu. In the proceedings of SODA 2015.
- Dual Query: Practical Private Query Release for High Dimensional Data. Joint work with Marco Gaboradi, Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias, Justin Hsu, and Steven Wu. In the proceedings of ICML 2014.
- Buying Private Data without Verification. Joint work with Arpita Ghosh, Katrina Ligett, and Grant Schoenebeck. In the proceedings of EC 2014.
- Asymptotically Truthful Equilibrium Selection in Large Congestion Games. Joint work with Ryan Rogers. In the proceedings of EC 2014.
- Bounds for the Query Complexity of Approximate Equilibria. Joint work with Paul Goldberg In the proceedings of EC 2014.
Invited to a special issue of the ACM Transactions on Economics and Computation (TEAC) 2015.
- Private Matchings and Allocations. Joint work with Justin Hsu, Zhiyi Huang, Tim Roughgarden, and Steven Wu. In the proceedings of STOC 2014.
- Mechanism Design in Large Games: Incentives and Privacy. Joint with Michael Kearns, Mallesh Pai, and Jon Ullman. In the proceedings of ITCS 2014.
- Constrained Signaling in Auction Design. Joint work with Shaddin Dughmi and Nicole Immorlica. In the proceedings of SODA 2014.
- Exploiting Metric Structure for Efficient Private Query Release. Joint work with Zhiyi Huang. In the proceedings of SODA 2014.
- Beyond Worst-Case Analysis in Private Singular Vector Computation. Joint with Moritz Hardt. In the proceedings of STOC 2013.
- Differential Privacy for the Analyst via Private Equilibrium Computation. Joint with Justin Hsu and Jon Ullman. In the proceedings of STOC 2013.
- Conducting Truthful Surveys, Cheaply. Joint with Grant Schoenebeck. In the proceedings of EC 2012.
- Beating Randomized Response on Incoherent Matrices. Joint with Moritz Hardt. In the proceedings of STOC 2012.
- Privately Releasing Conjunctions and the Statistical Query Barrier. Joint with Anupam
Gupta, Moritz Hardt, and Jonathan Ullman. In the proceedings of STOC 2011.
Full version appears in SIAM Journal on Computing (SICOMP) 2013.
- Selling Privacy at Auction. Joint work with Arpita Ghosh. In the proceedings of EC 2011.
Invited to a special issue of Games and Economic Behavior (GEB) 2013.
- New Algorithms for Preserving Differential Privacy. PhD Thesis.
- Interactive Privacy via the Median Mechanism.
Joint with Tim
Roughgarden. In the proceedings of STOC 2010.
Non-Monotone Submodular Maximization: Offline and Secretary Algorithms.
Joint with Anupam
Gupta, Grant Schoenebeck, and Kunal Talwar. In the Proceedings of WINE 2010.
Private Combinatorial Optimization. Joint with
Anupam Gupta, Katrina
McSherry, and Kunal
Talwar. In the Proceedings of SODA 2010.
- Auctions with
Online Supply. Joint with Moshe
Babaioff and Liad
Blumrosen. In the Proceedings Of EC 2010.
Full version appears in Games and Economic Behavior, 2015.
- A Learning
Theory Approach to Non-Interactive Database
Privacy. Joint with Avrim
Ligett. In the proceedings
of STOC 2008: The 40th ACM Symposium on the Theory of Computing.
Full version appears in Journal of the ACM (JACM) 2013.
Minimization and the Price of Total Anarchy. Joint
with Avrim Blum, MohammadTaghi
Katrina Ligett. In the
proceedings of STOC 2008: The 40th ACM Symposium on the Theory of
(Slides Available Upon Request)
- Privacy as a Tool for Robust Mechanism Design in Large Markets
- Caltech Workshop on the Theory of Bringing Privacy into Practice, 2015. (video here)
- Private Convex Optimization (Yields Asymptotically Truthful Combinatorial Auctions)
- Cornell Joint Microeconomics and Computer Science Theory Seminar, 2014.
- Penn State Department Colloquium, 2014.
- NIPS Workshop on Transactional Machine Learning, 2014.
- ISMP 2015 Invited Speaker, 2015.
- Preserving Statistical Validity in Adaptive Data Analysis
- MIT/MSR Theory Day, 2014.
- Yahoo Research NYC Theory Seminar, 2014.
- Johns Hopkins Theory Seminar, 2014.
- TCS+ seminar, 2015. (video here)
- Bloomberg Research, Princeton Campus, 2015.
- BICOD 2015 Invited Lecture, 2015.
- Clinical Epidemiology/Health Services Research Seminar, Penn Medical School, 2015.
- Penn Applied Mathematics and Computational Science (AMCS) Colloquium. 2015.
- Private Matchings and Allocations
- Allerton 2013
- Charles River Privacy Day 2013
- Princeton Theory Lunch 2013
- Rutgers Theory Seminar 2014
- Tutorial on Differential Privacy
- Simons Workshop on the Science of Differential Privacy 2013
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Annual Meeting 2015 (see coverage)
- Tutorial on Game Theory and Differential Privacy
- WPin+NetEcon 2014
- EC 2014 Tutorial on Differential Privacy, Mechanism Design, and Information Economics
- EC 2013 Workshop on Differential Privacy and Mechanism Design
- DIMACS Differential Privacy Workshop 2012. (video here)
- Mechanism Design in Large Games: Privacy and Incentives
- FOCS 2012 PC Workshop
- USC Theory Seminar
- IBM TJ Watson Theory Seminar
- University of Maryland Capital Area Theory Seminar
- DIMACS Differential Privacy Workshop
- Stanford Market Design Seminar
- DIMACS Workshop on the Economics of Information Sharing
- Dagstuhl Workshop on the Frontiers of Mechanism Design.
- Caltech Workshop on Differential Privacy and Economics
- Exploiting Metric Structure for Efficient Private Query Release
- UCSD IDASH Differential Privacy Workshop
- Privately Releasing Conjunctions and the Statistical Query Barrier
- Microsoft Research Silicon Valley
- Penn State Theory Seminar
- MIT Theory Seminar
- Selling Privacy at Auction
- Northwestern EECS Theory Seminar
- Boston University Theory Seminar
- Interactive Privacy via the Median Mechanism
- STOC 2010
- Dartmouth Theory Seminar
- Efficient Computation Under the Constraints of Privacy And Incentives
- CMU Theory Seminar 2010
- UPenn Market and Social Systems Engineering Lecture Series 2010
- Yahoo Research, Santa Clara 2010
- On the Equilibria of Asynchronous Games
- Microsoft Research SVC
- CMU Theory Lunch
- China Theory Week 2009
- SODA 2010
- Differentially Private Approximation Algorithms
- Microsoft Research New England
- CMU Theory Lunch
- Princeton Theory Lunch
- SODA 2010
- Auctions with Online Supply
- EC 2010
- Ad Auctions Workshop 2009
- CMU Theory Lunch
- Microsoft Research SVC
- A Learning Theory Approach to Non-Interactive Database
- Microsoft Live Labs Tech Talk
- STOC 2008
- Capital Area Theory Seminar (University of Maryland)
- CMU/Microsoft Privacy Mindswap (Poster)
- Regret Minimization and the Price of Total Anarchy
- CMU Theory lunch
- GAMES 2008: 3rd World Congress of the Game Theory Society
- Harvard EconCS seminar
- ISMP 2009