Next: Adjunct P-stranding
Up: Cases not handled
Previous: Cases not handled
Free relatives are only partially handled. All free relatives on non-subject
positions and some free relatives on subject positions
are handled. The structure assigned
to free relatives treats the extracted wh-NP as the head NP of
the relative clause. The remaining relative clause modifies this
extracted wh-NP (cf. (217)-(219)).
- what(ever) [w<<14228>>i [C [Mary likes i]]]
- where(ever) [w [C [Mary lives]]]
- who(ever) [w<<14235>>i [C [Muriel thinks [i likes Mary]]]]
However, simple subject extractions without further emebedding are not
handled (cf. (220)).
- who(ever) [w<<14240>>i [C [i likes Bill]]]
This is because ((219)) is treated exactly like the ungrammatical ((221)).
- *the person [ w<<14246>>i [C [i likes Bill]]]