[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

types as values

[------ The Types Forum ------- http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~types ------]

I am trying to do research on types as values. The first thing I have
to do is prove to my adviser that the subject is interesting. I need
to find some problem where if we allow types as values in a
programming language we get a better (whether easier to write, read
faster, etc) solution than if we don't I have been looking through
what literature I have found and that either assumes that its
interesting, or just talks about polymorphism. Polymorphism isn't
enough because he can do that perfectly well in his object oriented
language which can only manipulate types in extremely primitive ways
(ie you can say list [int] but you can't really do anything more
complicated).

Can anyone give me either a problem that fits this description, or a
pointer to something that might?

thanks a lot

Brian Postow

[Brian:  Please summarise your responses and post them back
to the Types Forum.  -- Philip Wadler, moderator, Types Forum]