[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New Version of TeX-ed Prof. Plotkin's "Domains" (Corrected)

Dear Colleagues,

The new version of the TeX-ed edition of Professor Plotkin's
course notes "Domains" becomes available.

In the preparation of the first version,
we had no spell-checker available at hand,
hence there remained so many misspellings in that version.
We sincerely apologise the readers as well as
the original author, Professor Plotkin,
for the low quality of the first version.

After the first version of this TeX edition was released,
we have received more than 170 direct requests to this edition,
and we been very much encouraged by these so many responses.
We wish to deeply thank to the readers for their encouragements.

Changes from the First Version (June/1992 Version)

In the present second version,
 1) many misspellings as well as several misprints
    in mathematical formulae are corrected,
 2) a few typographical conventions are changed
    in order to increase the typographical consistency,
 3) an original spellings in the first version is
    according to the direction of the original author,
 4) an original notation is recovered, which seemed to be difficult
    to typeset in TeX due to the editors' illiteracy about TeX
    in the preparation of the first version,
 5) an AmS-font is used to get better output for a family
    of symbols appeared in Chapter 8,
 6) LaTeX fonts lcircle10 and lcirclew10 are used instead of
    circle10 and circlew10 used in the previous version.

How to Obtain & In What Form
============================

This version is distributed by ftp from
 1) MIT (by the courtesy of David Wald):
     Size:   A4 and US letter
             (the later size is made by David Wald).
     Format: dvi and PS (300 dpi).
     Fonts:  AmS font "msam10" is used.
     Note:   mail server is also supported.

 2) Tokyo Institute of Tech. (by the courtesy of Yutaka Kikuchi):
     Size:   A4.
     Format: dvi and PS (300 and 400 dpi).
     Fonts:  AmS font "msam10" is used.

 3) Univ. des Saarlandes (by the courtesy of Ralf Treinen):
     Size:   A4.
     Format: dvi.
     Fonts:  without AmS fonts.

You can also obtain the list of corrections to the first version
from these sites.  (It is same as that we have resently sent
readers who directly requested the first version to us.)

Detailed information for ftp is attached at the end of this mail.

To Readers,
==========

We wish to continue to maintain this TeX-ed edition
and to send readers further information on found misprints
(we hope there isn't, but there still must remain some!).

So please send a mail with the subject line

     Subject: I have Domains

to the following address

     To: kondoh@harl.hitachi.co.jp

if you did not obtain the first version (June/92 version) directly
from us. (If you obtained it from us, we recorded you and you need not
to send this registration mail.)

(If you obtained the first version directly from us but have not received
the errata from us yet, please apologise us for our mistakes.)

Acknowledgements
================

First of all, we wish to express their deepest thanks to
Prof. Plotkin for his warm encouragements and his generous permission
to the distribution of this TeX edition.
We also wish to acknowledge (in alphabetical order)
Yutaka Kikuchi at Tokyo Institute of Technology,
Ralf Treinen at Univ. des Saarlandes, and
David Wald at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
for supporting ftp services of the TeX edition,
which substantially decreased the editors' efforts
required for the distribution, and without their supports,
the number of people accessible to this TeX edition would be
significantly less than as it is, and David Wald also have
repositioned the dvi file of the TeX edition in A4 size
so that it is appropriate for US letter-size papers.

Last but not least, we wish to sincerely thank
Professor John C. Mitchell, who informed them
that there remained many misspellings in the first version
and strongly advised them to use some spell checker,
and also have kindly spent his important time to pass the TeX source files
to a spell-checker and told them the results with the original author's
comments and directions concerning misspellings and several original
(British) spellings in the notes,
and Marcelo Fiore at Univ. of Edinburgh
and Daisuke Suzuki at Univ. of Tokyo
for notifying them of many misprints.

The editors,
  Hidetaka Kondoh,
  Yugo Kashiwagi

###################
Information for FTP
###################

===================
MIT (by David Wald):
===================

This file, Index, contains an index for the files available from
theory.lcs.mit.edu in the directory pub/papers/Plotkin.  To request
one of these files from the mail server, send mail to the address
archive-server@theory.lcs.mit.edu with a line of the following form in
the body:

                        send papers Plotkin/filename

For example, to retreive the file domains.dvi, you would say

                        send papers Plotkin/domains.dvi

Capitalization is important.  For more information on the
archive-server, send a message containing only the word "help" in the
body.  If you have any trouble using the archive server, send mail to
archive-manager@theory.lcs.mit.edu.

To retrieve files from the archive via anonymous ftp, connect to
theory.lcs.mit.edu (18.52.0.92) and log in with the username
"anonymous."  When you are asked for a password, type in your email
address.

A note on fonts: The dvi files domains.dvi and domains-lettersize.dvi
make use of an AMS symbol font, "msam10".  You will need this font to
print the dvi files completely.

Index                    This file.

errata-92-06.dvi         Errata in the June 1992 version of
                             domains.dvi which have been corrected in
                             the November 1992 version.

errata-92-06.ps          The same, in PostScript format (optimal for
                             300dpi Canon engine).

domains.dvi              Gordon Plotkin's course notes on domains,
                             transcribed into TeX by Hidetaka Kondoh
                             and Yugo Kashiwagi, as revised November
                             1992.  This file is sized for A4 paper,
                             or larger.  Also, see the note on fonts.

domains.ps               The same, in PostScript format (optimal for
                             300dpi Canon engine).

domains-lettersize.dvi   same as domains.dvi, but repositioned to
                             print on US letter size paper.  Again,
                             see the note on fonts.

domains-lettersize.ps    The same, in PostScript format (optimal for
                             300dpi Canon engine).

Tokyo Institute of Tech. (by Yutaka Kikuchi):

Professor Gordon Plotkin's course note "Domains", which has now been
an indispensable source for researchers/students in Domain Theory.
TeX-ed by KASHIWAGI,Yugo-san and KONDOH,Hidetaka-san
at Hitachi Advanced Research Laboratory.

The directory has the following files.

domains.dvi.Z		DVI of Plotkin's domain theory
domains.300.ps.Z	PostScript file for 300dpi (e.g. Apple LaserWriter)
domains.400.ps.Z	PostScript file for 400dpi (e.g. NeXT printer)

errata-92-06.dvi.Z	DVI of Errata for old version
errata-92-06.300.ps.Z	PostScript file for 300dpi (e.g. Apple LaserWriter)
errata-92-06.400.ps.Z	PostScript file for 400dpi (e.g. NeXT printer)

Note:
1. The all files are for A4 size. MIT is going to be ready for US letter size.
2. The DVI files use the AmSTeX font `msam10'.

If you have a trouble about the distribution,
please mail to `kikuchi@cs.titech.ac.jp'. Thank you.

Univ. des Saarlandes (by Ralf Treinen):

server:    duck.dfki.uni-sb.de [134.96.188.92]
directory: pub/papers/PlotkinDomainNotes
files:	   Domains_Nov92_NoAMS.dvi.Z
	   Errata_of_June92.dvi.Z