[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LICS-89

Date:         Mon, 27 Feb 89 19:36:40 CST
From: Rohit Parikh <RIPBC%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu>
sender: meyer
        Rohit Parikh <RIPBC@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Sender: TheoryNet List <THEORYNT%NDSUVM1.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was THEORYNT@YKTVMX

To: Local Redistribution <theorynet-mit@theory.LCS.MIT.EDU>

    FOURTH IEEE SYMPOSIUM ON LOGIC IN COMPUTER SCIENCE (LICS)
               June 5-8, 1989
            Asilomar, California

        PROGRAM AND CONFERENCE INFORMATION

The Fourth IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science will take
place at the Asilomar Conference Center in Pacific Grove, California,
>from Monday June 5 to Thursday June 8, in 1989.  The Symposium will
cover a wide range of theoretical and practical issues in computer
science that relate to logic in a broad sense.  Below you will find
information about the location, travel arrangements, the conference,
and the program, as well as registration and room reservation forms.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

M. Davis, M. Fitting, M. Hennessy, D. Israel, J. Jaffar, D. Joseph,
D. Kapur, D. Kfoury, P. Kolaitis, D. Kozen, V. Lifschitz, R. Parikh
(chair), A. Pnueli, V. Pratt, R. Statman.

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

J. Barwise, W. Bledsoe, A. Chandra, E. Dijkstra, E. Engeler, J. Goguen,
D. Gries, Y. Gurevich, D. Kozen, Z. Manna, A. Meyer (chair), R. Parikh,
G. Plotkin, D. Scott.

LOCAL ARRANGEMENTS CHAIR

M. Abadi
Digital Equipment Corporation
Systems Research Center
130 Lytton Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301
USA
(415) 853-2196
internet: ma@src.dec.com

SPONSORSHIP

The 1989 LICS Symposium is sponsored by the Technical Committee on
Mathematical Foundations of Computing of the IEEE Computer Society, in
cooperation with the ACM Special Interest Group on Automata and
Computability Theory, the Association for Symbolic Logic, and the
European Association for Theoretical Computer Science.  The Symposium
has been subsidized by a generous donation from Xerox PARC and by
further donations from the Digital Equipment Corporation Systems
Research Center, the Hewlett-Packard Research Laboratory, the
Laboratory for Computer Science of Edinburgh University, and IBM
(T.J. Watson Research Center and Almaden Research Center).

            CONFERENCE PROGRAM

Sunday, June 4, 1989
Reception, 7:30pm-9:30pm

Monday, June 5, 1989
Session 1, 9am-noon
Chair: Dexter Kozen

9:00 Domains and Logics
     Dana Scott (invited talk)

Coffee break, 10am-10:20am

10:20 Non-trivial Power Types Can't be Subtypes of Polymorphic Types
      A. Pitts
10:45 Computational Lambda-Calculus and Monads
      E. Moggi
11:10 Computing with Recursive Types
      S. Cosmadakis
11:35 Stratified Polymorphism
      D. Leivant

Lunch at noon

Session 2, 2pm-3:40pm
Chair: Phokion Kolaitis

2:00 Proof Theory and Semantics of Logic Programs
     H. Gaifman and E. Shapiro
2:25 Negation as Refutation
     M. Fitting
2:50 Fixpoint Extensions of First-order Logic and Datalog-like
     Languages
     S. Abiteboul and V. Vianu
3:15 Parthenon, a Parallel Theorem Prover for Non-Horn Clauses
     S. Bose, E. Clarke, D. Long, and S. Michaylo

Coffee break, 3:40pm-4pm

Session 3, 4pm-5:40pm
Chair: David Israel

4:00 Type Inference for Record Concatenation and Multiple Inheritance
     M. Wand
4:25 Computational Consequences and Partial Solutions of a Generalized
     Unification Problem
     A. Kfoury, J. Tiuryn, and P. Urzyczyn
4:50 How Complete is PER?
     E. Robinson
5:15 Inheritance and Explicit Coercion
     V. Breazu-Tannen, T. Coquand, C. Gunter, and A. Scedro

Session 4, 8pm-9pm
Chair: Vladimir Lifschitz

8 PM  Emil Post's Contributions to Computer Science
     Martin Davis (invited talk)

Tuesday, June 6, 1989
Session 5, 9am-noon
Chair: Vaughan Pratt

9:00 Towards Action-Refinement in Process Algebras
     L. Aceto and M. Hennessy
9:25 A Complete Axiom System for Event Executions
     J. Gischer
9:50 A Game-Theoretic Modelling of Concurrency
     Y. Moschovakis

Coffee break, 10:15am-10:45am

10:45 Nets of Processes and Data Flow
      A. Rabinovich and B. Trakhtenbrot
11:10 Axiomatizing Net Computations and Processes
      P. Degano, J. Meseguer, and U. Montanari
11:35 A Probabilistic Powerdomain of Evaluations
      C. Jones and G. Plotkin

Lunch at noon

Session 6, 2pm-3:40pm
Chair: Assaf Kfoury

2:00 Equality in Lazy Computation Systems
     D. Howe
2:25 Extending the Lambda Calculus with Surjective Pairing is
     Conservative
     R. de Vrijer
2:50 Faithful Ideal Models for Recursive Polymorphic Types
     M. Abadi, B. Pierce, and G. Plotkin
3:15 Structure and Representation in LF
     R. Harper, D. Sannella, and A. Tarlecki

Visit to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, 7pm
(buses will be running between Asilomar and Monterey)

Wednesday, June 7, 1989
Session 7, 9am-noon
Chair: Rohit Parikh

9:00 The Mathematics of Nonmonotonic Reasoning
     Vladimir Lifschitz (invited talk)

Coffee break, 10am-10:20am

10:20 On the Complexity of Epistemic Reasoning
      M. Vardi
10:45 RI: A Logic for Reasoning with Inconsistency
      M. Kifer and E. Lozinskii
11:10 Non-well-founded Sets Obtained from Ideal Fixed Points
      M. Mislove, L. Moss, and F. Oles
11:35 Substitutional Recursion on Non-well-founded Sets
      T. Fernando

Lunch at noon

Session 8, 2pm-3:40pm
Chair: Joxan Jaffar

2:00 A Sound and Complete Axiomatization of Operational Equivalence of
     Programs with Memory
     I. Mason and C. Talcott
2:25 A Fully Abstract Semantics for a Functional Language with Logic
     Variables
     R. Jagadeesan, P. Panangaden, and K. Pingali
2:50 Unified Algebras and Institutions
     P. Mosses
3:15 Elf: A Language for Logic Definition and Verified Metaprogramming
     F. Pfenning

Coffee break, 3:40pm-4pm

Session 9, 4pm-5:40pm
Chair: Melvin Fitting

4:00 Some Complexity Bounds for Dynamic Logic
     A. Stolboushkin
4:25 On Simultaneously Determinizing and Complementing omega-Automata
     A. Emerson and C. Jutla
4:50 mu-Definable Sets of Integers
     R. Lubarsky
5:15 Compositional Model Checking
     E. Clarke, D. Long, and K. McMillan

Business meeting, 8pm

Thursday, June 8, 1989
Session 10, 9am-10:40am
Chair: Martin Davis

9:00  Characterizing Complexity Classes by Higher Type Primitive
      Recursive Definitions
      A. Goerdt
9:25  Polynomially Graded Logic
      A. Nerode, J. Remmel, and A. Scedro
9:50  ECC, an Extended Calculus of Constructions
      Z. Luo
10:15 A Sufficient Condition for the Termination of the Direct Sum of
      Term Rewriting Systems
      A. Middeldorp

Lunch at noon

Conference Ends

CONFERENCE EVENTS

Sunday: an opening reception at Asilomar, at 7:30pm.

Tuesday: a visit to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, with copious drinks and
hors d'oeuvres, starting at 7pm; buses will be running between Asilomar
and downtown Monterey for the evening.

Wednesday: a barbecue at Asilomar at 6pm (weather permitting) and a
business meeting at 8pm.

LOCATION

Asilomar is situated on the tip of the Monterey Peninsula, overlooking
the Pacific Ocean, 120 miles south of San Francisco.  Asilomar occupies
105 secluded acres of forest and dune, with pleasant pathways, a
swimming pool, and an exercise trail.  Just over the dunes, Asilomar
State Beach stretches for over a mile.  Monterey is an interesting
historical city--by California standards.  Nearby, Carmel and Big Sur
offer quaint towns, pleasant beaches, and a rugged coastline.  The
weather is mild, with temperatures in the 60's and 70's and a slight
chance of rain; the evenings can be cool, and we recommend bringing a
jacket.

TRANSPORTATION TO ASILOMAR
The following information held in January 1989.

Flying into Monterey:

This is the simplest way to reach Asilomar.  United, SkyWest, USAir,
American Eagle, and others fly to Monterey from West Coast locations,
such as San Francisco and Los Angeles.  A shuttle goes from the
Monterey airport to Asilomar, for $8.

Flying into San Jose or San Francisco:

If you fly into San Jose or San Francisco, we recommend you rent a
car.  You may wish to share a car rental.  We can provide you with a
list of other registrants whom you may contact about such sharing
arrangements.  The San Jose airport is about one and a half hours away
>from Monterey by car.  The San Francisco airport is about two and half
hours away by car.  In both cases, leave the airport on Highway 101
South and follow the driving directions below.

Public transportation is a cheaper but inconvenient alternative.
Greyhound buses go from the San Francisco airport to Monterey five
times per day, at 8:40am, 10:55am, 3:25pm, 7:10pm, and 10pm. The trip
lasts between three and four hours and costs $15.  Asilomar can be
reached from the Greyhound station with a short cab ride or on local
buses.

Driving to Asilomar:

When arriving on Highway 101, turn west at Salinas onto Highway 68 and
proceed to the Asilomar gatepost at the end of the highway.  When using
Route 1, turn west onto Highway 68 in Carmel, and proceed as above.

ACCOMMODATIONS

Accommodations are at Asilomar; the standard arrangement is room and
board from Sunday at 3pm to Thursday at noon.  All meals are included,
>from dinner on Sunday through lunch on Thursday.  If you prefer
vegetarian meals, please indicate this preference on the room
reservation form.  If you wish to spend other nights in the area,
Asilomar will attempt to provide accommodations or suggest suitable
hotels.  Should you have any questions, you can contact Asilomar
directly at the address given on the reservation form or by phone at
(408) 372-8016.

Room availability is limited.  WE URGE YOU TO REGISTER EARLY.

REGISTRATION AND ROOM RESERVATION

Please send the registration form and the room reservation form to the
addresses given, each with a corresponding check for the exact amount
in US dollars, by APRIL 26.  Once they have both been received,
Asilomar will send you an acknowledgement letter.  Cancellations after
May 4 are subject to $25 charges, both from Asilomar and from LICS.
After May 20, they are subject to forfeiture of all fees.

            LICS REGISTRATION FORM

Please send this form--along with a check payable to the 4th Symposium
on Logic in Computer Science--to

    Martin Abadi
    Digital Equipment Corporation
    Systems Research Center
    130 Lytton Avenue
    Palo Alto, CA 94301
    USA
    (Attn. LICS registration)

Type or print:

Name_________________________________________________________________
Affiliation__________________________________________________________
Street Address_______________________________________________________
City________________________ State______________________ Zip_________
Country______________________________________ Phone__________________
E-mail_______________________________________________________________

             Before April 26       After April 26
Member or author          $150            $210
Non-member                      $210                $270
Full-time student                $50             $75

Registration fees include conference proceedings, the opening
reception, and the  Aquarium excursion.  The member or author rate is
for members of the IEEE Computer Society, the ACM, the EATCS, the ASL,
the program committee, and the organizing committee, and for authors
of presented papers.  If you qualify for the rate, please indicate
how:______________________________

            LICS ROOM RESERVATION FORM

Please send one form per person--along with a check payable to
Asilomar Conference Center--to

    Asilomar Conference Center
    Post Office Box 537
    Pacific Grove, CA 93950
    USA

For additional information, call Asilomar at (408) 372-8016.  Type or
print:

Name_________________________________________________________________
Street Address_______________________________________________________
City________________________ State______________________ Zip_________
Country______________________________________ Phone__________________

Check which kind of accommodation you would like to reserve.  You may
indicate first and second choices:

        Single         Double        3/4-room     Youth (2--17yrs.)
Deluxe           $380        $220        $200         $135
Historic         $240        $200        $200         $135
Rustic           $220        $180        $180         $135

In historic and rustic rooms, the youth rate applies with one adult or
at least two children per room; in deluxe rooms, it applies with two
adults per room.  Please indicate age of children________________

____ Male   ____ Female   ____ Smoker   ____ Non-smoker

____ Vegetarian

____ Pick me a roommate.  ____ I'll room with_______________________.