[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

BU colloq/ March 3

Date:  Mon, 27 Feb 89 14:56:37 EST
To: colloq@bu-cs.bu.edu

                          BOSTON UNIVERSITY
                        Computer Science Dept.
                          111 Cummington St.

                            March 3, 1989
                               4:00 PM

	      SOME COMPARATIVE ANATOMY OF TYPE DISCIPLINES

			   Val Breazu-Tannen
		       University of Pennsylvania

    The type disciplines living in the "forest of typed lambda calculi"
    find themselves in natural containment relationships. We regard a
    richer type discipline as introducing a new programming language
    feature, for example, explicit polymorphism in the case of the
    Girard-Reynolds calculus. How do these new features interact with the
    ones expressible in a less complex type discipline?

    This question can be formalized through results about the
    relationships (such as conservative extension) between equational
    theories. We survey several results of this kind.

    Another way to formalize this question is through results about
    the relationships between rewrite systems. Jean Gallier will
    talk about such results in one of the future meetings of this
    seminar.

DATE:   March 3, 1989
TIME:   4:00 PM
PLACE:  111 Cummington St., Room 135