[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

paper on polymorphic pi-calculus available

[------ The Types Forum ------- http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~types ------]

The paper below is now availabile at
  http://www.cs.indiana.edu/hyplan/pierce/ftp/polybisim.ps.gz
or
  ftp://ftp.dcs.ed.ac.uk/pub/sad/poly.ps.gz

Best regards,

Benjamin Pierce
Davide Sangiorgi

                       ***********

  Title: Behavioral Equivalence in the Polymorphic Pi-Calculus
Authors: Benjamin Pierce and Davide Sangiorgi
   note: To appear as Indiana University Computer Science Technical
         Report TR 468  and as an INRIA Technical Report.

Abstract: We investigate parametric polymorphism in message-based concurrent
  programs, focusing on behavioral equivalences in a typed process
  calculus analogous to the polymorphic lambda-calculus of Girard and
  Reynolds.

  Polymorphism constrains the power of observers by preventing them from
  directly manipulating data values whose types are abstract, leading to
  notions of equivalence much coarser than the standard untyped ones.
  We study the nature of these constraints through simple examples of
  concurrent abstract data types and develop basic theoretical machinery
  for establishing bisimilarity of polymorphic processes.

  We also observe some surprising interactions between polymorphism and
  aliasing, drawing examples from both the polymorphic pi-calculus and
  ML.