[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

The 1996 Summer School on Advanced Functional Programming

[------ The Types Forum ------- http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~types ------]

It's not often that one gets to interact one-on-one with such large
collection of distinguished researchers in functional programming. At
the 1996 Summer School on Advanced Functional Programming you will
have the opportunity to do just that.  We have put together a
distinguished panel of lecturers who will be teaching the most
advanced techniques, on state of the art systems, all with a rather
practical, application-oriented, focus. There will be plenty of time
for discussions and informal conversations.

Registration for this years summer school is about one third full.
If you are interested in attending, you should reserve your place now.

The 1996 Summer School on Advanced Functional Programming will be
hosted by the Oregon Graduate Institute located in Portland,
Oregon. It follows on the success of a similar school held in
Baastad, Sweden in 1995. This year's school will be held 100+
miles to the north of Portland at The Evergreen State College in
Olympia, Washington, on the southern shore of the Puget
Sound. Evergreen is located five miles outside of Olympia,
Washington, and lies in the heart of a 1,000-acre forest.  The
Summer School will begin on the evening of Sunday Aug 25th, and
end Friday Aug 30th.

This year's lectures will focus on state-of-the-art topics that
are considerably more application-oriented than those of the
Baastad School.  We have invited to the summer school speakers
who have experience in using functional languages to build large
systems.  The topics that will be covered in the summer school
are as follows:

   * "Haskore, specifying electronic music", Paul Hudak
   * "Polytypic typing", Johan Jeuring
   * "Systems programming", Peter Lee
   * "Functional data structures", Chris Okasaki
   * "GUI programming using Concurrent Haskell", Simon Peyton Jones
   * "Miniaturizing functional programs", Colin Runciman
   * "Functional parsers", Doaitse Swierstra
   * "Programming in the large using SML modules", Mads Tofte

Like last year, each lecturer will have a three hour slot, some
of which may be taken up by practical exercises. The pattern of 1
hour lecture, 1 hour exercise and break, and 1 hour lecture
worked well in the past, and we plan to repeat it. The lecture
notes from the school will be published in Springer-Verlag's LNCS
series.

For more information and registration form, please see our web
page at URL:

        http://www.cse.ogi.edu/PacSoft/summerschool96.html

The program organizers are:

* Tim Sheard, sheard@cse.ogi.edu, Oregon Graduate Institute,
* John Launchbury, jl@cse.ogi.edu, Oregon Graduate Institute,
* Erik Meijer, erik@cs.ruu.nl, Utrecht University.

Local arrangements/registration will be handled by Lynette Osborne
(osborne@cse.ogi.edu), phone (503) 690-1476, fax (503) 690-1548.