[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

WADT11/COMPASS-8, 2nd CFP (ASCII & Latex)

[Since it is clearly relevant, I am distributing this conference
announcement to types.  -- Philip Wadler, moderator, Types Forum.]

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%ASCII%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

           11th ADT Workshop and 8th General Compass Meeting

                September 19 1995 -- September 23 1995

                       2nd Call for Participation

Workshop on Specification of Abstract Data Types and ESPRIT Compass Meeting
The two joint events will take place at Holmenkollen in Oslo.  The
workshop starts just after lunch-time Tuesday September 19, and lasts till
Saturday evening September 23.  Before the workshop a meeting of the IFIP
WG 14.3 (Foundations of Systems Specifications) will be held the same
place starting just after lunch-time Monday September 18.
The workshop will provide an opportunity to meet colleagues, to present
recent and ongoing work and to discuss new ideas and future trends.

The workshop is organised by Olaf Owe and Ole-Johan Dahl from the
University of Oslo, and Magne Haveraaen from the University of Bergen.

The topics of the workshop include, but are not limited to:
 - algebraic specifications;
 - other approaches to formal specification;
 - specification languages and methods;
 - term rewriting and proof systems;
 - specification development systems (concepts, tools, etc.).
As this is the final COMPASS year we have searched for invited speakers
who may put the area of algebraic methods in a wider perspective, assess
its practical value, and hopefully indicate possible future directions and
links to related areas.  The invited speakers include:
 - E. Astesiano (Universita di Genova, Italy)
 - R. Burstall (University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom)
 - H. Ehrig (Technische Universitdt Berlin, Germany)
 - C.A.R. Hoare (Oxford University, United Kingdom)
 - J. Horning (DEC Systems Research Center, Palo Alto, Ca, USA)
 - B. Krieg-Bruckner (Universitdt Bremen, Germany)
 - P. Lescanne (CRIN, Nancy, France)
In addition there will be many prominent speakers from within the COMPASS
project.

The proceedings, consisting of a selection of the presented talks through
the usual referee process, will be published after the workshop, probably
in the Lecture Notes series of the Springer-Verlag (see e.g. the Recent
Trends in Data Type Specifications series, no. 332, 534, 655, 785, ...).

Please note:
as there is a limited number of slots for talks, REGISTER NOW!
We will accept speakers essentially in the order of arrival date of their
registrations (a corrective mechanism is organised in order to guarantee
visibility to every site).  So if you plan to have a talk please let us
know as soon as possible (communication via e-mail or WWW is suggested).

Location
--------
The workshop will be held at the Soria Moria Conference Center at
Holmenkollen in Oslo, just 12 km from downtown and 14 km from the
airport.  The centre is located on the top of a hill, Voksenkollen, 500 m
above sea level, overlooking the Oslo Fjord. It is bordering "Nordmarka",
the Oslo forest national park, covering a huge area with lakes, forest and
hills.  Whereas September is too early for skiing, it is a good time for
hiking, with trees in fall colours.  For sporty participants we plan a
hiking excursion to an old-fashioned log-cabin serving homemade food.

An alternative excursion will show some of the interesting places in Oslo,
such as the Viking ship museum (with authentic viking ships), the old
stave church, the Vigeland sculpture park, Aker brygge (a fjord-front
shopping and restaurant area with new and old architecture), the Munch
Museum and the Holmenkollen ski jump national monument.

Depending on the number of accompanying persons, and their interests, we
will try to improvise some additional informal sightseeing.  Also, one may
take a suburban train to downtown Oslo in 30 minutes and visit the center
(around Karl Johans gate) with museums, shops, and walking streets, all
close together.

For those interested in seeing more of Norway, such as the famous west
coast fjords, the mountains, or the north of Norway, we will provide
information about trips taking a few days or more. We especially recommend
the Norway-in-a-nutshell trip, which includes the famous train ride from
the mountains down to Flem and a boat tour on the Sognefjord. It is
possible to make this tour starting from Oslo in the morning and returning
to Oslo by night-train, or extend the trip to include a visit to Bergen.

Accommodation
-------------
According to tradition, the workshop is planned on a residential base, so
participants are required to stay at the Soria Moria hotel. It is a modern
hotel with excellent conference facilities, including swimming pool and
sauna.

Normal arrival is expected Tuesday September 19 after lunch, and departure
on Sunday September 24 after breakfast, with the possibility of extending
the stay in both directions. Participants to the IFIP WG 14.3 meeting are
expected to arrive Monday September 18 after lunch.

We have reserved a number of rooms, both single and double, and expect to
be able to accommodate everybody registering {\bf before June 15}.  We
will try to accommodate people registering by July 31, depending on room
availability.

Please note:
the single rooms will be assigned essentially following a FIFO principle;
thus if you want a single room, book it now.

Prices
------
We have an agreement with the hotel for a special price for full board
during the workshop. For a single room this amounts to 880 NOK per day,
and to 620 NOK per day per person in a double room.

For the whole workshop the prices in Norwegian Crowns (NOK) amount to:

                 ! WADT/COMPASS (Tue-Sun)  ! WG14.3/WADT/COMPASS (Mon-Sun)
-----------------+-------------------------+------------------------------
single room      ! 4400 NOK (ca. 530 ECU)  ! 5280 NOK (ca. 640 ECU)
double room, p.p.! 3100 NOK (ca. 375 ECU)  ! 3720 NOK (ca. 450 ECU)
-----------------+-------------------------+------------------------------

Note that the prices in ECU are obtained at the current rate (which can
be different in September).

As usual a reasonable registration fee will be charged, to cover expenses
like proceedings publication, social events and so on.  The precise amount
has still to be established, depending on the real costs and the funds
that can be raised to cover them, but we expect it to be no more than 200
ECU. Some support may be available for participants from countries with
soft currencies. Applications for support must be received by the
registration deadline.

Travel Information
------------------
The Soria Moria hotel is easily reachable by bus and taxi from downtown
Oslo or directly from the Fornebu Airport in Oslo, with direct flight
connections from most major European cities. Intercontinental travel is
usually via Copenhagen, but some direct connections exist.  The dates for
the events have been chosen so that participants can make use of reduced
airfares (PEX, APEX). There are also direct ferry conections to Kiel and
Copenhagen.

Other information
-----------------
More organisational details will follow, and registered participants will
be kept informed. Updated information will also be available on the
World-Wide Web (WWW) at URL:
                      http://www.ifi.uio.no/~adt95/

    AS THERE IS A LIMITED NUMBER OF PLACES AVAILABLE FOR THE WORKSHOP,
                             REGISTER EARLY!
    We will accept participants in the order of date of arrival of the
		      enclosed registration form

          ! DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION IS THE 15TH OF JUNE '95 !

Please return the registration form (by e-mail or surface mail) to the
following address. Registration using WWW is also possible.

    ADT'95 Organisation
    Institutt for informatikk   e-mail: adt95@ifi.uio.no
    Postboks 1080 Blindern      phone:  +47 22 85 24 10
    0316 OSLO                   fax:    +47 22 85 24 01
    Norway                      WWW:    http://www.ifi.uio.no/~adt95/

           11th ADT Workshop and 8th General Compass Meeting

                        Registration form
		One form for each participant, please!

Family Name     ........................................................
Christian Name  ........................................................
Institution     ........................................................
Mailing address ........................................................

E-mail    ........................................................
Fax       ........................................................
Telephone ........................................................

I will attend to the workshop     ... yes   ... no
I intend to give a talk           ... yes   ... no

If yes, provisional title ..............................................

I prefer        ... single room         ... double room
    I would like to share the room with ................................

Special meal requirements (please specify): ............................

I will arrive      ..........................
I will depart      ..........................
I am a member of IFIP WG 14.3   ... yes   ... no

Name of accompanying non-participants ..................................
    for which I need  ...... additional single rooms and
                      ...... additional double rooms

Signature  .............................................................

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%LATEX%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\documentstyle{article}
\topmargin - 21mm
\oddsidemargin -11mm
\evensidemargin -11mm
\textheight 256mm
\textwidth 180mm
\renewenvironment{itemize}{\renewcommand{\item}{\\\hspace*{\parindent}$\bullet$\hspace*{\labelsep}}}{\\}
\catcode`\<=\active\global\chardef~126
\pagestyle{empty}
\begin{document}
\begin{center}
{\LARGE\bf 11th ADT Workshop and 8th General Compass Meeting}\\[1ex]
{\Large\bf September 19 1995 -- September 23 1995}\\[1ex]
{\large\bf 2nd Call for Participation}
\end{center}
\thispagestyle{empty}
\subsection*{Workshop on specification of Abstract Data Types and ESPRIT
Compass Meeting}
The two joint events will take place at Holmenkollen in Oslo.  The
workshop starts just after lunch-time Tuesday September 19, and lasts till
Saturday evening September 23.  Before the workshop a meeting of the IFIP
WG 14.3 (Foundations of Systems Specifications) will be held the same
place starting just after lunch-time Monday September 18.\\
The workshop will provide an opportunity to meet colleagues, to present
recent and ongoing work and to discuss new ideas and future trends.

The workshop is organised by Olaf Owe and Ole-Johan Dahl from the
University of Oslo, and Magne Haveraaen from the University of Bergen.

The topics of the workshop include, but are not limited to:
\begin{itemize}
\item algebraic specifications;
\item other approaches to formal specification;
\item specification languages and methods;
\item term rewriting and proof systems;
\item specification development systems (concepts, tools, etc.).
\end{itemize}
As this is the final COMPASS year we have searched for invited speakers
who may put the area of algebraic methods in a wider perspective, assess
its practical value, and hopefully indicate possible future directions and
links to related areas.  The invited speakers include:
\begin{itemize}
\item E. Astesiano (Universit\'a di Genova, Italy)
\item R. Burstall (University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom)
\item H. Ehrig (Technische Universit\"at Berlin, Germany)
\item C.A.R. Hoare (Oxford University, United Kingdom)
\item J. Horning (DEC Systems Research Center, Palo Alto, Ca, USA)
\item B. Krieg-Bruckner (Universit\"at Bremen, Germany)
\item P. Lescanne (CRIN, Nancy, France)
\end{itemize}
In addition there will be many prominent speakers from within the COMPASS
project.

The proceedings, consisting of a selection of the presented talks through
the usual referee process, will be published after the workshop, probably
in the Lecture Notes series of the Springer-Verlag (see e.g.\ the
Recent Trends in Data Type Specifications series, no. 332, 534, 655, 785,
\ldots).

\noindent{\bf Please note:}
as there is a limited number of slots for talks, {\large\em register now!}
We will accept speakers essentially in the order of arrival date of their
registrations (a corrective mechanism is organised in order to guarantee
visibility to every site).  So if you plan to have a talk please let us
know as soon as possible (communication via e-mail or WWW is suggested).

\subsection*{Location}
[...]

the {\em Norway-in-a-nutshell} trip, which includes the famous train ride
from the mountains down to Fl{\aa}m and a boat tour on the Sognefjord. It
is possible to make this tour starting from Oslo in the morning and
returning to Oslo by night-train, or extend the trip to include a visit to
Bergen.

\subsection*{Accommodation}
According to tradition, the workshop is planned on a residential base, so
participants are required to stay at the Soria Moria hotel. It is a modern
hotel with excellent conference facilities, including swimming pool and
sauna.

Normal arrival is expected Tuesday September 19 after lunch, and departure
on Sunday September 24 after breakfast, with the possibility of extending
the stay in both directions. Participants to the IFIP WG 14.3 meeting are
expected to arrive Monday September 18 after lunch.

We have reserved a number of rooms, both single and double, and expect to
be able to accommodate everybody registering {\bf before June 15}.  We
will try to accommodate people registering by July 31, depending on room
availability.
\\
\noindent{\bf Please note:}
the single rooms will be assigned essentially following a {\tt FIFO}
principle; thus if you want a single room, {\em book it now}.

\subsubsection*{Prices}
We have an agreement with the hotel for a special price for full board
during the workshop. For a single room this amounts to 880 NOK per day,
and to 620 NOK per day per person in a double room.

\noindent
For the whole workshop the prices in Norwegian Crowns (NOK) amount to:
\smallskip
\begin{center}
\begin{tabular}{|l|c|c|}\hline
                  & Just WADT/COMPASS (Tue-Sun)
                                             & IFIP WG 14.3 \& WADT/COMPASS (Mon-Sun)
                                                                               \\ \hline
single room       & 4400 NOK ($\approx$ 530 ECU) & 5280 NOK ($\approx$ 640 ECU) \\ %\hline
double room, p.p. & 3100 NOK ($\approx$ 375 ECU) & 3720 NOK ($\approx$ 450 ECU)  \\ \hline
\end{tabular}
\end{center}
Note that the prices in ECU are obtained at the current rate (which can
be different in September).
\smallskip

As usual a reasonable registration fee will be charged, to cover expenses
like proceedings publication, social events and so on.  The precise amount
has still to be established, depending on the real costs and the funds
that can be raised to cover them, but we expect it to be no more than 200
ECU. Some support may be available for participants from countries with
{\em soft currencies}. Applications for support must be received by the
registration deadline.

\subsection*{Travel Information}
The Soria Moria hotel is easily reachable by bus and taxi from downtown
Oslo or directly from the Fornebu Airport in Oslo, with direct flight
connections from most major European cities. Intercontinental travel is
usually via Copenhagen, but some direct connections exist.  The dates for
the events have been chosen so that participants can make use of reduced
airfares (PEX, APEX). There are also direct ferry conections to Kiel and
Copenhagen.

\subsection*{Other information}
More organisational details will follow, and registered participants will
be kept informed. Updated information will also be available on the
World-Wide Web (WWW) at URL:
\begin{center}
        http://www.ifi.uio.no/~adt95/
\end{center}

\begin{center}
\Large
As a limited number of places are available for the workshop, register
early!
\end{center}
\noindent
We will accept participants in the order of date of arrival of the enclosed
registration form

\medskip
\begin{center}
\large\bf
        \fbox{Deadline for registration is the 15th of June '95}
\end{center}

\medskip

\noindent
Please return the registration form (by e-mail or surface mail) to the
following address. Registration using WWW is also possible.

\begin{center}
\begin{tabular}{lcll}
ADT'95 Organisation        &\makebox[3cm]{}&           \\
Institutt for informatikk  &&e-mail: &adt95@ifi.uio.no  \\
Postboks 1080 Blindern     &&phone:  &+47 22 85 24 10    \\
0316 OSLO                  &&fax:    &+47 22 85 24 01     \\
Norway                     &&WWW:    &http://www.ifi.uio.no/~adt95/
\end{tabular}
\end{center}

\begin{center}

\pagebreak
{\Large\bf 11th ADT Workshop and 8th General Compass Meeting}
\smallskip

{\Large\bf Registration form}

{\bf One form for each participant, please!}

\end{center}
\addtolength{\baselineskip}{0.3cm}
\bigskip

\noindent
\makebox[3cm][l]{Family Name}      \   \dotfill\ \\
\makebox[3cm][l]{Christian Name}   \   \dotfill\ \\
\makebox[3cm][l]{Institution}      \   \dotfill\ \\
\makebox[3cm][l]{Mailing address}  \   \dotfill\ \\
\makebox[3cm]{}                    \   \dotfill\ \\
\makebox[3cm]{}                    \   \dotfill\ \\
\makebox[3cm]{}                    \   \dotfill\ \\
E-mail    \dotfill\qquad
Fax       \dotfill\qquad
Telephone \dotfill\\
\bigskip

\noindent
\begin{tabular}{lll}
I will attend to the workshop     &       $\Box$ yes   &   $\Box$ no\\
I intend to give a talk           &       $\Box$ yes   &   $\Box$ no\\
\end{tabular}

\hspace{1cm}If yes, provisional title \dotfill\\
\makebox[3cm]{}\dotfill\\
\bigskip

\noindent
I prefer\hspace{2cm}       $\Box$ single room\hspace{2cm}$\Box$ double
room\\
\hspace{1cm}I would like to share the room with\ \dotfill\\
\bigskip

\noindent
Special meal requirements (please specify): \dotfill\\
\bigskip

\noindent
I will arrive      \dotfill\\
I will depart      \dotfill\\
I am a member of IFIP WG 14.3  \ \ \   $\Box$ yes  \ \   $\Box$ no\\
\bigskip

\noindent
\begin{tabular}{@{}lll}\multicolumn{3}{@{}l@{}}{\hspace*{\textwidth}}\\[0em]
Name of accompanying non-participants &\multicolumn{2}{l@{}}{\dotfill} \\
\multicolumn{1}{r}{for which I need}  &\ldots\ldots\ldots& additional single rooms and \\
                                      &\ldots\ldots\ldots& additional double rooms
\end{tabular}

\vfill
\noindent
\begin{tabular}{|l|}\hline
{\bf Mail to:}	\\
ADT'95 Organisation        \\
Institutt for informatikk  \\
Postboks 1080 Blindern     \\
0316 OSLO                  \\
Norway                     \\\hline
\end{tabular}\\*[-2.5ex]\hspace*{5cm}Signature \dotfill
\end{document}