[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Question about notation

The old root meaning of context is "surrounding text", which makes the
usual use of "context" in semantics a good one if you like to see a
nice match between what words ordinarily mean and what their technical
meanings are.  In my textbook I used "type assignment" for the
association of variables with type expressions.  This aviods conflict
with the notion of an "environment" which is usually an association of
*values* to variables.  The problem with using "typothesis" is that
you'll also need a "kindopethis" and this is hard to pronounce.

				--- carl gunter