[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Question about notation

     x1 has type tau-1, x2 has type tau-2,...,xn has type tau-n ?

   I have heard these sets sometimes called a BASIS, sometimes an
   ENVIRONMENT, sometimes a CONTEXT, etc. Any consensus?

I tend to call one of these "a set of type assumptions", though the singular
"type assumption" would be better.  [I usually use the meta-variable A to
range over them].

Sometimes I call it a "symbol table" to distinguish it from the other meaning
of environment, especially when talking to compiler jocks.

One of my students, Carl Woolf, used to call it "the typothesis."  I kind of
like that name, but it's so cute I've never had the nerve to use it in public.

--Mitch