[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

translating classical to linear logic (338 lines)

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 92 15:44:10 +0200

 Yes, it's me again.
 Sorry to bother all of you!
 I received several new answers for my request of a simple embedding
 of Classical Logic inside Linear Logic.

 I mail them to the net because they could be of general interest.

From: stefano@di.unito.it ( Stefano Berardi )
Date: Mon, 25 May 92 15:55:54 +0200

A quick question to linear people:

what is the simplest interpretation of First Order Classical Logic in Linear
Logic known up to now?
Of course I heard of several of them, but I found all of them a bit tricky.
I consider only complete interpretations, i.e. mapping:

Phi: {First Order Classical Formulas} -> {First Order Linear Formulas}

such that A is a classical theorem iff Phi(A) is a linear theorem.
Please answer me, not to the net, since I suppose the argument be widely
known, except by me!

S. Berardi

>From murthy@margaux.inria.fr Wed May 27 14:52:24 1992

Hi, Stefano,

Every interpretation of CL into CLL that I know of factors THRU a
translation of CL into IL.  Thus, if one wants to know what equations
between classical proofs are enforced by a particular translation into
CLL, it suffices to consider the equational theory of the translation
into IL.

Essentially, any translation is going to end up sequentializing the
program completely, so one might as well just stick with CPS.

                              (omissis)

See you soon,
--chet--

Date: Thu, 28 May 92 13:07:08 -0500
From: "Uday S. Reddy" <reddy@cs.uiuc.edu>

   what is the simplest interpretation of First Order Classical Logic in Linear
   Logic known up to now?

Hi, The only translation I know of is Girard's in his paper on LC.
(MSCS, 1991, 255-296).  Are there others?  I would be interested to
know what you find out.

Cheers,

Uday Reddy

From: Stefano Berardi

Dear Prof. Randy,

you asked me which translation of Classical Logic inside Linear Logic I
was thinking about in my message to the net.

I was considering three of them:

(1) compose any (sound & complete) embedding of Classical Logic inside
Intuitionistic Logic with the canonical embedding of Intuitionistic
Logic inside Linear Logic.

(2) The first Girard's translation:

phi(Atom)	= ?!Atom
phi(AvB)	= phi(A) par phi(B)
phi(not A) 	= ?(dual of phi(A))
phi(ForAll x A)	= ?!(Any x phi(A))

(3) The second Girard's translation:
p(Atom)		= Atom
n(Atom)		= Atom
p(AvB)		= p(A) plus p(B)
n(AvB)		= !n(A) par !n(B)
p(not A)	= dual of n(A)
n(not A)	= dual of p(A)
p(ForAll x A)	= Any x ?p(A)
n(ForAll x A)	= Any x n(A)

A sequent A1 ... An |- B1 ... Bm is interpreted as:
|- n(A1) ... n(An), p(B1) ... p(Bm)

These three translation agree on one point:

they all give a very tricky interpretation to the Cut Rule,
i.e. to the application of a function to an argument.
This makes unpractical the use of Linear Logic in extracting
the constructive content of Classical proofs.

Constructive content of proofs is my actual research field.

Does anyone know better translations?

    Stefano Berardi

Date: Fri, 5 Jun 92
From: glb@dcs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Gianluigi Bellin)

Dear Stefano,

this is in relation to a comment that all translations of Cl in LL
<<factor through intuitionistic logic.>>

In Linear Logic, TCS 1987, pag.90-92, there are two translations of classical
logic into linear logic.

I agree that the first one (that you called Girard's First Translation)
<<factors through>> a translation of Cl into IL.
The second one (you called it Girard's Second Translation)
is a translation of cut-free classical logic,
based on the idea of translating positive and negative occurrences of the
same classical connective into different linear connectives.

The translation in <<A new constructive logic ...>> (MSCS, 1991, 255-256)
seems a refinement of the first translation using the main idea of the second.
We have cut elimination, but we need the notion of formula with polarity.

	(omissis)

Date: Mon, 8 Jun 92 10:25:04 -0700
From: Jean-Yves Girard

 dear stefano
this question is the center of my recent paper
A NEW CONSTRUCTIVE LOGIC : CLASSICAL LOGIC
published in MSCS
ciao
jy

From: Andrea Masini <masini@di.unipi.it>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 92 10:32:46 +0200

In their important paper in LICS'91, Lincoln, Scedrov and Shankar give
a translation of a contraction- and cut-free system for implicational
intuitionistic logic into a fragment of propositional linear logic.

In the short LaTeX abstract below, we present how, somewhat in a similar
spirit, we can give a translation of the full propositional classical
logic into the full propositional linear logic without exponentials.

Comments and remarks are welcome.

Simone Martini e Andrea Masini
Dipartimento di Informatica,
Universita' di Pisa, Italy.

(paper omitted, because it was sent to the net)