Date: Sun, 10 Nov 91 20:43:49 -0800
Subject: about sequentialisation of multiplicative proof-nets
>From Laurent Regnier & Vincent Danos.

By proof-net we mean:
multiplicative proof-nets with n-ary axiom links (n>=1) and without neutral
elements (so proof-nets of LLM according to the notation of Scedrov).

Let R be a proof-net and A a (occurrence of) formula in R.

Any time you have a notion of R(A) a proper subnet of R with conclusion A
you can prove the sequentialisation theorem of Girard:
because both R(A) and R\R(A) (i.e., R minus the links and non-terminal
formulas of R(A) plus an n-ary axiom over the conclusions of R(A)
(that's why we allow general axioms)) are smaller proof-nets
(that's why R(A) should be a proper subnet of R)
hence are by induction sequentialisable and you just glue
together their two sequential proofs in the obvious way to build one
for R.

Two known examples (where l(A) is the link of R under A if there is one):
-- the girardian notion of empire:
R1(A)= the intersection of all correction subgraphs of R\l(A) containing A;
-- our notion of:
R2(A)= the union of all correction subgraphs of R\l(A) containing A.

Here is a new one and natural.
Let R3(A)= the intersection of all proper subnets of R containing A
which is indeed a proof-net (this needs some reasoning) with conclusion A.
(by the way the union of two intersecting subnets of R is also a subnet of R).
It's natural because R3(A) is by definition the smallest subnet of R
proving A.

An equivalent concrete way to define R3(A):
iterate (*) and (**) starting from R:
(*) erase any terminal PAR (distinct from A)
(** )if there is a splitting TIMES (distinct from A) just keep
the component containing A.
Equivalence with the abstract definition is shown
for example by sequentialisation.