[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Call for Participation: "Types in Logic Programming" Workshop

To: clp@cs.cmu.edu, types@theory.LCS.MIT.EDU
From: Frank Pfenning <Frank.Pfenning@PROOF.ERGO.CS.CMU.EDU>
sender: meyer
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 89 11:19:34 EDT

Call for Participation: Special Workshop Session on

		     "Types in Logic Programming"

on Friday, October 20 as part of the North American Conference on Logic
Programming in Cleveland, Ohio.

The role of types in imperative and functional programming is the
subject of much research and often heated debate, yet a relatively
deep understanding of types has been achieved for functional and
imperative languages.  This understanding is embodied in functional
languages such as ML, Miranda, Haskell, and in imperative languages
such as Algol and more recently Forsythe.  Rich type systems have
undeniably had a dramatic impact on the way we think about functional
programming.  But what is the role of types in Logic Programming?  How
do types and logic programming fit?  As in functional programming,
different views of types and their role exist in logic programming,
but the battle-lines are not as clearly drawn and we do not yet have a
deep understanding of the interaction between different views of types
and their possible practical impact.

We are looking for short presentations of approaches to types in logic
programming and their use.  The emphasis is on an exchange of ideas
rather than polished results and we hope to cover a range of topics
and points of view, including polymorphic types, dependent types,
types as approximation of success sets, types as compilation and
debugging aids, multi-sorted algebras and inheritance, types and
constraint logic programming, and type inference.

If you are interested in giving a presentation on your research or
ideas, please submit title and short abstract of a proposed talk.  The
duration of each talk should be approximately 30 minutes, though this
may vary depending on the number of speakers.  If you are interested
in just attending, please send e-mail to the address below.

Frank Pfenning
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890