Place: Back conference room (413) at IRCS
Date: Friday, April 26th
Time: 3-4:30

TALK #2

Title: TAG Generation as Dependency Parsing
Speaker: Alexander Koller
Place: Large conference room at IRCS (to be confirmed)
Date: Monday, April 29th
Time: 12-1:30

Abstract:
TAG Generation as Dependency Parsing
(joint work with Kristina Striegnitz)

This is a talk about some computational issues related to realization with
TAG. I will first prove that realization from a flat input semantics (i.e. a
multiset of atomic formulas) is an NP-complete problem. Then I will show how
this problem can be reduced to a parsing problem with dependency grammar,
which essentially computes a TAG derivation tree. Using a modern dependency
parser, we can in practice largely avoid the combinatorial explosion
associated with NP-complete problems. Initial runtime experiments with
generating from the XTAG grammar display encouraging results.