CIS 160 Spring 2013
Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science
- Professor Max Mintz:
- Teaching Assistants:
- Lectures: Tuesday, Thursday 13:30-14:50, Room: Towne 100
- Recitations: Friday 14:00-14:50, Room: Towne 100
Preliminary Examination Schedule:
- Preliminary Examination I: 8 February, 14:00-14:50; Room: Towne 100
- Preliminary Examination II: 15 March, 14:00-14:50; Room: Towne 100
- Preliminary Examination III: 19 April, 14:00-14:50; Room: Towne 100
- NB: Makeup preliminary examinations will only be given for verified
medical reasons. All makeup examinations are oral.
- There will be 9 weekly written quizzes lasting 10-15 minutes. The
quizzes are scheduled on Fridays.
The purpose of the quizzes is to aid students in keeping current
on the homework and lecture material. The subject material of the quizzes will be taken from the
homework assignments and lectures. The quiz schedule is: January 18, 25; February 1, 15, 22;
March 1, 22; & April 5, 12.
No makeup quizzes will be given.
- NB: All preliminary examinations and quizzes are closed-book examinations. No
written notes, personal assistants, or calculators are permitted.
Written Assignments Policy:
- Written assignments (problem sets) will be given weekly during
lecture and recitation. The problems will vary in difficulty and will be
designed to reinforce and augment the material in the lectures and
- Assignments include: analytical work, derivations, proofs, algorithms,
and computer program implementations.
- The assignments will be collected and graded. Each assignment must be submitted
at the beginning of the class in which it is due. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Our goal is to grade all of the homework that is submitted in a timely fashion. However, due to the
size of the class, it may become necessary from time to time to limit grading to a selected subset of
the assigned problems. For example, if five problems are assigned in a given set, we might select three
of the five problems for grading.
- You are permitted to discuss the homework problems with other class members with the
following limitations. These discussions are to be limited to high-level concepts. You are
not permitted to copy or share written work or implementation details. It is understood that the
work that you submit may be based on these discussions but has not been either copied directly from another
student's paper nor is it, in part or in whole, the product of impermissible collaboration.
- All written work must be neat, well-organized, and include sufficient explanations in
the delineation of the solutions. Messy, poorly organized, or illegible material will be returned ungraded.
- Each homework set will be graded based on the following grade levels: E (excellent),
S (satisfactory), U (unsatisfactory), NC (no credit).
- The final course grade will be based entirely on the three preliminary examinations,
the comprehensive two-hour final examination, the aggregate quiz scores, and the homework assignments. No exemptions
from examinations will be made. The final grade will be based on the following units: (1) the nine quizzes; (2) prelim I;
(3) prelim II; (4) prelim III; (5) the final exam, part I; and (6) the final exam, part II. The sum of these six
components will constitute 90% of the final course grade. The remaining 10% of the final course grade will be based on
the aggregate homework scores.
- In lieu of a required text, Lecture Notes will be distributed
in class throughout the semester.
CIS 160 Course Topics:
- Number Theory
- Set Theory
- Graph Theory