597 Assignment 2: Dictionary XML and CSS
Fall 2007, David Matuszek
Purposes of this assignment:
- Get you started writing XML, DTDs, and CSS
- Design an XML representation of the sort of entries found in a dictionary.
- Write a DTD that defines what is legal in your XML.
- Write an XML document (a "dictionary") containing several XML entries.
- Validate your dictionary against the DTD.
- Write CSS to display your dictionary in an attractive fashion.
Use any standard English dictionary to get data for this assignment.
At least one of your definitions should use phonetic symbols for pronounciation
International Phonetic Alphabet in Unicode). For example, the schwa (ə)
is listed as hexadecimal 0259, so in HTML or XML you would write this as
September 23, before midnight. Email the URL to both me and my grader.