CIS 110 Spring 2013 - Introduction to Computer ProgrammingIntroduction to Computer Programming is the first course in our series introducing students to computer science. In this class you will learn the fundamentals of computer programming in Java, with emphasis on applications in science and engineering. You will also learn about the broader field of computer science and algorithmic thinking, the fundamental approach that computer scientists take to solving problems.
[11 Apr] Fall 2013 Pre-Registration Information Welcome future 110-ers! Based on the record interest in the class, we are making some changes to the enrollment procedure in order to accomadate everyone:
- We do not use Blackboard for CIS 110. Check this page for updates on the waitlist situation, and for the current lecture slides and assignments. The course will be similar in Fall 2013.
- We have moved to a larger room and increased the enrollment cap to 400 students (vs. 300 in Fall 2012). 200 spots are open for pre-registration (100 at 12:00, and 100 at 1:00), the other 200 are reserved for incoming Freshman.
- Update: As of April 11, there is still space in both lecture sections.] If we reach the pre-enrollment cap, we will set up a wait list. Check this page for information about the waitlist once registration closes. We will not be able to admit students off the waitlist until close to the start of term, because we will not have data on the incoming Freshman until then.
- If you are still on the wait list when the semester starts, you should attend class and submit assignments so you do not have to race to catch up if a space comes available.
- There will be a weekly 1-hour recitation on Wednesday/Thursday in addition to lecture, but you will sign up for registration at the start of term or shortly before. There will be a wide range of time slots available, but we cannot provide exact times until we are ready for sign-up.
- Watch for an e-mail shortly before the start of term about recitation sign-up. We will be handling recitation assignments ourselves rather than through PennInTouch (PIT) so we can make sure everyone gets a recitation they can attend. PIT is the pits at managing registration for full classes.
[30 Mar] Select your free t-shirt size! Spring 2013 students, please click here to select your t-shirt size. We need to know your size by Tuesday, April 2nd, 11:59pm so we can place the order on Wednesday.
[30 Mar] Apply to TA in Fall 2013 We are now accepting TA applications for CIS 110/120/121 for Fall 2013. Click here to apply. More information is available on the application form itself.