CIS 110 - Introduction to Computer Programming (Spring 2012)Introduction to Computer Programming is the first course in our series introducing students to computer science. In this class you will learn the fundamentals of computer programming in Java, with emphasis on applications in science and engineering. You will also learn about the broader field of computer science and algorithmic thinking, the fundamental approach that computer scientists take to solving problems.
- [23 Apr] Registration for CIS 110 Fall 2012 term is currently restricted to incoming freshman and declared CIS majors. The restriction will remain in place at least until late August. This is necessary because CIS 110 is a required course for most engineering students, and we need reserve enough slots for them. If you are interested in signing up for CIS 110 but have not yet done so, you may contact Jackie Caliman (jackie *at* cis.upenn.edu) to be added to the wait list. We are hoping to have enough space for everyone, but we are at the limit of our lecture hall capacity.
- [1 Apr] We are looking for TAs for next Fall! If you're interested, check out this Piazza post and apply here.
- [11 Mar] The midterm, solutions, curve and grades are now posted. You can find more information in this Piazza post and on the exams page.
- [20 Feb] If you are entitled to extra time or other accommodations on the midterm, or if you have a very strong reason why you will be unable to take the mid-term in calls on 29 Feb (Wed), please e-mail your availability for a makeup on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday afternoon so I can schedule a single make-up session that will work for everybody. This will most likely occur on Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon. See my note on Piazza for more detail. -Dr. Brown
- [22 Jan] I will not be available Monday afternoon this week for my usual office hours. Instead I will hold office on Tuesday, 24 Jan 4-5pm. I will hold my usual 10-11am office hours on Monday, and Menglong will be holding his office hours on Monday 3-4pm in Moore 207. -Dr. Brown
- [19 Jan] Office hours are now posted on
the schedule page for all days. There
will be extensive office hours on Wednesday as well, as soon as we
have a room confirmation. You may need to advance the calendar to next
week to see Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday office hours. Monday office
hours will be held in Moore 207. Tuesday through Friday hours will be
in Moore 100C. I encourage you to make use of office hours for
questions about the assignment and the course--we're here to
help. Office hours typically get more crowded close to an assignment
deadline, which is one more reason to get started on assignments
early. (Update: Wednesday hours are now posted too.)
I would like to call your attention to the services of the tutoring center. You can schedule one-on-one tutoring sessions for CIS 110 though the tutoring center, and they also hold walk-in sessions. Walk-in sessions are currently scheduled on Sunday afternoon and Tuesday evenings, but we are looking into the possibility of adjusting these to better reflect the Friday assignment due date. Once these are set I will add them to the course schedule.
- [18 Jan] If you're interested in the WICS residential program or in Women in Computer Science activities in general, check out www.git.to/wics. The deadline to apply for the residential program is this Friday, 20 January, but there's no deadline to get involved in WICS!
- [11 Jan] The course schedule is now active on the web site. Click on a section to see its location. Note that Sections 209 and 210 will meet in Levine 512. All others will be in one of the computer labs.
- [10 Jan] If you were unable to enroll in a section you are able to attend or would like to switch to a different section, please fill out an on-line section change request form. We will find a solution for all students who are unable to attend the section for which they are enrolled, and will do our best to accomodate as many other requests as possible. The process may take a few weeks because enrollments fluctuate at the beginning of the semester. If you are unable to attend your scheduled section, you should go to any other section until we have moved you.
- [10 Jan] Welcome to CIS 110! Formal recitation sections will begin next week, however TAs will hold office hours during their usual section times this week to answer questions and help with Assignment 0.
- [10 Jan] Assignment 0 has been posted on the Homework
A further announcement will be made when the submission link is active.The submission system is now live.