[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tech. Rep. on specialization inheritance and lambda-&-calculus

[------ The Types Forum ------- http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~types ------]

Hallo,
this is to let you know that I have made available,
via either ftp or web the following technical report
(about which I'll be very happy to receive comments and criticisms)

Title: $\lambda$\&ESI-Calculus for Enhanced Strict Inheritance

Authors: P. Di Blasio, M. Temperini

Abstract:

We present a specialization inheritance mechanism for a
strongly typed object-oriented language, called "Enhanced
Strict Inheritance" (ESI).
 It is a mechanism of classification in which the subclassing
relation between classes reflects the subtyping relationship
between the corresponding types.
 The definition of ESI is based on a covariant redefinition rule
for methods.
 ESI is modeled via the lambda&ESI-calculus, a modification
of the lambda&-calculus of overloaded functions due to
Castagna, Ghelli and Longo.
 In ESI hierarchies the only constraint to attribute redefinition
is covariance; any other restriction in redefinition rule and
compatibility of result types in confusable methods is relaxed.
 The ESI approach to method lookup is based on a peculiar notion
of point of view for multiple inheritance, called "abstraction
level": it drives the method lookup and possibly allow to avoid
conflict problems.

(Tech.Rep. n.401 Feb.1995, IASI-CNR Roma)

- a gzipped ps file can be ftp-ed at the address
                   ftp.dis.uniroma1.it
  in the directory
                   pub/marte/papers
                   (filename: calculus.ps.gz)

- you can also reach the same file through my web homepage,
  at the URL
    http://www.dis.uniroma1.it/PUB/marte/homepage/publications.html

Many thanks

Marco Temperini
	Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica
	Universita` di Roma "La Sapienza"
	marte@dis.uniroma1.it
	http://www.dis.uniroma1.it/PUB/marte/homepage/marte.html