[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Exponentials in linear logic

Answer to Clemens H. CAP (mail of August 1st)

The question of duality of ! and ? is exactly the same as the
question of the unicity of !. By nature ! cannot be unique :

1st reason : ! controls infinity in logic ; we get usual infinity by
means of the familiar rules, but another choice of rules can yield
weaker notions of infinity, eg polytime. In this respect, there is no
a priori unicity of !, and this is far from being a weakness...

2nd reason : just write twice the same set of rules (eg in an
intuitionistic style) for ! and -say- $ ; it will be impossible to
prove the equivalence between !A and $A. If we want to prove $A -o !A
then we must allow contexts $Gamma,!Delta in the !S-rule. In general
we can handle several !, partially ordered, etc. But one should use
this latter possibility with extreme care : multimodal logics are
close relatives of non-monotonic "logics".

---

Jean-Yves GIRARD
Directeur de Recherche

CNRS, Laboratoire de Mathematiques Discretes
163 Avenue de Luminy, case 930
13288 Marseille cedex 9

<girard@lmd.univ-mrs.fr>
(33) 91 82 70 25
(33) 91 82 70 26 (Mme Bodin, secretariat)
(33) 91 82 70 15 (Fax)